- 11+ advice for top London independent school applications plus English-specific consultations in my 11plus Consultancy guise
- Oxbridge and university preparation in English
- 11+, GCSE and IGSCE, A level English literature and language tuition
- Home-schooling in English literature and language for individuals or groups
- Enrichment for all abilities aged 9 onwards including mature students
- English Teacher at St Paul’s Girls’ School for 9 years
- Full time private tutor since 2013
- Presented with Teacher Trailblazer award by Poetry Society 2009
- 30 years of teaching experience from leading children up mountains to lecturing undergraduates at Oxford University
- BA (Oxon), MA (Ebor), Mst, Dphil (Oxon), PGCE (IoE)
English takes us on adventures. My favourite authors are William Shakespeare, Margaret Atwood, and David Almond. With them I can go to a magical island where everyone gets a chance to make up for their mistakes; encounter a nineteenth-century woman in prison for murder; or meet a curious creature with webbed toes and fingers who rescues orphans.
Everyone can love English; everyone can learn to appreciate the extraordinary ways in which poets manipulate us with a single line break or an unusual image; everyone can learn to explain this single line break and this unusual image. And this is what I do: help my students fall in love with my subject and in doing so I teach my students the skills that are needed to convey these ideas in the form of 11+ comprehensions, literary essays and personal statements.
To my great delight, many of my students have got into the right schools and top universities; they have become poets, novelists, critics, academics, journalists, English teachers; and, above all, they are now readers.
© Society of Tutors 2022